Using the tools listed below, it’s possible to check on the status of a tax refund from the Internal Revenue Service or from a state tax department.
How to Check the Status of a Federal Tax Refund
- Via the IRS Web site, using the Where’s My Refund? Web application.
- Via telephone, by calling the IRS’s Refund Hotline at 1-800-829-1954 (this is a toll-free number).
- Via mobile phone application, IRS2Go (available for Android and iOS devices).
Typical Processing Times for Federal Refunds
The Internal Revenue Service typically issues tax refunds within 21 days of receiving the tax return, if the tax return was filed electronically. (Tax Topic 152, Refund Information, IRS.gov)
For paper tax returns that are mailed to the IRS for manual processing, the IRS issues refunds in approximately 6-8 weeks. For amended returns, the IRS processes refunds in about 8-12 weeks. (Internal Revenue Manual, 126.96.36.199.)
Refunds involving the adoption tax credit are processed refunds in about 14 weeks, as the IRS performs additional processing and verification of the adoption credit. (Internal Revenue Manual, 188.8.131.52.)
Non-resident aliens may have to wait up to 6 months to receive their refund if they claimed a refund of taxes withheld on Form 1042-S (What to Expect for Refunds in 2017, IRS.gov).
Check the Status of a State Tax Refund
Wondering where your state tax refund is? It’s easy to check the status of your state tax refund using the online refund status tools on each state’s Web site. Find your state and click on the link to go directly to your state’s refund status tool.
- Alabama (click the Where’s My Refund? link under the section titled eServices)
- Alaska No income tax
- Arkansas (click on Where’s My Refund under the section titled Quick Links)
- Colorado (click on How can I find out the status of my refund?)
- Connecticut (click on Check on the Status of Your Refund found in the blue sidebar)
- District of Columbia
- Florida No income tax
- Georgia (click on the George Tax Center link, or download the myGAtax application for Android and iOS devices)
- Idaho (click on the Where’s my refund? button)
- Illinois (Refunds are delayed until March 1, 2016)
- Indiana (click on the Get Started link under the section titled Refund Status: Online, or call the Department of Revenue’s automated refund line at (317) 233-4018. To speak to a representative, call (317) 232-2240.)
- Massachusetts (Account registration required)
- Nevada No income tax
- New Hampshire (Call (603) 230-5920.)
- New Jersey (Or call (800) 323-4400, a toll-free call within New Jersey.)
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Oregon (click on Where’s my refund? under the Quick Links section)
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota No income tax
- Tennessee (Call (800) 342-1003, toll-free within the state. Out-of-state persons call (615) 253-0600.)
- Texas No income tax
- Utah (click on Where’s My Refund? under the section titled For Individuals)
- Washington No income tax
- West Virginia (click the check the status of your refund link)
- Wyoming No income tax